Pet Detectives Party or Birthday Party
Have guests bring a picture(s) of their favorite pet from the present or the past to your party. Post the pictures of the pets somewhere where everyone can see and label each pet #1, #2, etc. Have guests write down the name of their pets on a separate small piece of paper and post the names in random order next to the pictures. Next, have the guests try to figure out which pet names match which pictures. When everyone has had time to write out pet names, tell the answers. Give the winner a prize!
Have guests write down something about their pet that they enjoy. Mix up these pieces of paper and randomly hand them out to the group of people. Have everyone find the person who wrote about his or her pet.
When guests arrive, write down a pet on a piece of paper and place it on their backs such as "fish, dog, cat, iguana, snake, etc." Then, have the guests treat each other as that animal until that person figures out what they are.
Next, have everyone gather around to play Pet Detectives. You'll have a blast!
Feature animal-themed food at your party such as goldfish crackers and animal crackers to add to the fun. See Food Ideas for additional suggestions.
If you are hosting a party with kids, try this agenda:
Birthday party suggestions:
- 15-20 minutes - greet arrivals, free play and unstructured activities (art table, dart game, etc.)
- 20-30 minutes - Play one of the first icebreakers listed above.
- 15-20 minutes - refreshments
- 30-45 minutes - Play "Pet Detectives" in groups of 10.
- 15-20 minutes - free play and unstructured activities
- Give copies of Pet Detectives away to your guests as parting gifts
- Suggest to guests that they bring a stuffed animal as a gift for the birthday guest
- Get a dog or cat bowl and have guests sign the bowl with their birthday wishes. Fill the bowl with candy and give to the birthday guest.
- If you're going to give a pet to the birthday guest, take a picture of that pet and add it to the custom card that says "lost." Ask the birthday guest if he or she has seen that pet. After he or she says "no" point out where they could look. Once they look in that spot, they will be surprised to see the pet from the card!
- Have guests dress as their favorite animal
- You can pick out animal themed plates, napkins, cups and other accessories to highlight your theme.
- Take your guests to a local animal rescue shelter to volunteer to walk the dogs. Be sure to call in advance to set this up.